Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Axle Widening


Recently I have changed a few more things on my crawler. One of them was widening the axle. As a lot of things this has its "pros and con's" but for the most part I am very happy with what the end results are. I am not sure if there is a company that makes axle widening kits and if so who it would be. This set was machined and was very simple and very cheap to do. The kit widens both axles by approx 3 inches (1.5) per tire. I decided to widen my axles for the days that we would be on bigger boulders instead of small rocks, such as Little Moab or Moab. The wider axles help TONS on rocks like this and also works well on bigger rounder rocks, however when it comes to small rocks or sharp pointy rocks the axle's being wider really hurts the overall operation of my Crawler because the ground clearance is much less.

The nice thing about the design of the kit is that it is VERY simple to take off and go back to normal. Take off the tires, take off the spacer, unscrew the axle thread extenders and put your tires back on. Takes about 5 minutes and you are back and ready to run smaller rocks!!

If anyone would like to get a set of these let me know and I can give you some contact information for the guy who makes them.

I will take some pictures of the install and finished product and I will post them soon


.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to widen my axles. What do I need to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I spoke with the guy that machined them for me and he said the kit would be $46.00 plus shipping. It comes with everything you need. Email me if you are interested @ ut.rc.crawler@gmail.com !!

    ReplyDelete